Monday, March 14, 2011

Constylations

Where's My Victory Gin?


Consisting of the South Bay's Daysmen Empire (A-O.N.E., Esoin, Diverse, and Style M.I.S.I.A.) and New Moon (Piseas and L.E.F.T.), Constylations is something of an underground hip hop supergroup, if only in retrospect. The Daysmen are mainly known today as being the sounding board for production biggie M.I.S.I.A.; while New Moon, now known as the Bash Bros, are busy working with notable west coast talents like Planet Asia, Afro Classics and the Living Legends.
In contrast to what these disparate artists may sound like today, Constylations presents a mellow, jazzy, Bob James-ish vibe. Pianos, horns, scratchy drum loops, and other organic sounds dominate the mix, and the lyrics are the epitome of consciousness. Almost sounding like a throwback to the classic Native Tongues sound at times, this is some great, hazy music for a sunny afternoon. From circa '99-01. Give a listen.

Thought Crimes

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god! Constylations, holy cow...
    I think that New Moon albums are dope too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any New Moon? I'd love to hear it if you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have some stuff from New Moon. I'll have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW..I didn't think anybody else had this tape...lol...here in hawaii anyway..thanks 4 the up..i dont even remember what this sounds like but it was in rotation on the WALKMAN back in high school..lookin forward to the trip down memory lane. bless - jah nuthin swif

    ReplyDelete