Monday, June 28, 2010

Sunsetleagues

Broadcast the Boom Baps
From 2000, this wax debut from Disflex.6 introduced me to their northern Cali sound, as well as their eclectic crew Sunsetleagues. And actually I couldn't have come in at a more perfect moment: This EP is actually a crew compilation, rather than a Disflex record, as it features contributions from Disflex.6, Scratch Paper, and PBS, plus several instrumentals from the crews trippy beatmaker Elon.is. Surprisingly consistent, this brief record gave me a perfect overview of this Bay Area collective's accomplished and distinctive sound. Utilizing wonderfully refreshing jazz loops and down-to-earth poetry, this group is reminiscent (at least to me) of fellow Cali crews JKC, Araknophobix, or Bored Stiff; and is easily their equal on any ground. Give a listen. And, if anyone out there happens to have their debut, 1984, I'd love to hear that! Peace.

Featuring Sunset Leagues

2 comments:

  1. Hi, i don't know if you're still interested but the 1984 record, but i think i got it, i can check it tomorrow if ya still want it (i'm not sure though i got the orginal tape version of 1996 or the 2004 cdr reissue...) ? tell me..peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thirdman, I'd still love to get that album, either the og tape or the reissue. Thanks so much for coming through!

    ReplyDelete