Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dirt Works

Dirt Works Intro
This is the rough-ass 4-track debut by Living Legends dejay/emcee/producer Bizarro (now known as Bicasso). With Arts and Craft he put down a fine example of the oldschool LL aesthetic (remember their slogan "4-track is king"?), as the album is filled with the signature murky vocals and stuttery beats that typified the old Legends sound. And that goes double for Bizarro's early dirt works. Mystik Journeyman PSC guests on one track, Nebulus produces a couple tracks, and two uncredited songs can be found at the end. But make no mistake, this is Bizarro's trip from beginning to end. To me this tape represents what Living Legends was all about in their heyday: independence, experimentation, and youthful exuberance. From 1997.

Arts and Craft

2 comments:

  1. I can hurt myself for selling the CD and not buying the EP! Dirt Works grew to my favorite legends stuff lately besides Scarub and Eligh.

    The line: "I collect tapes and now they are all gone..." fits very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bizarro was one of my favorites as well. "My Collection of Tapes" has to be one of the most poignant songs in underground hip hop.

    ReplyDelete