Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Elevated Elements

Elevated Elements

Changing gears a little bit, this is the a fine example of some turn-of-the-century Northwest hip hop. I got this album from one of the band members outside the Paradox theater in the U-District, back in 2001. That was an incredible night; Slug, Idea and Abilities were headlining, but what stole the show for me was the huge MC battle that preceded them. The winners: Bishop I from Oldominion tied with Surge (not Surge Spittable, just Surge - where are you now?). Amazing. (A few months later Bishop busted in on my group at a Cannibal Ox show and bellowed out a bunch of freestyles that blew my mind all over again - an amazing talent.)
Anyhow, This post isn't about Surge, or Bishop I, or Oldominion - this is about that CD I picked up that night: "Progress" by Elevated Elements. They were part of a huge crew in the Seattle area known as NAPS. Elevated consisted of
Lace Cadence, Exakt, Patrick, FingerPrints, and Macklemore (yes, that Macklemore). The CD was surprisingly good (since I knew nothing about them), and well worth the money. I still play it now and again. It's right here on my iPod. Give it a listen - track listing in the package, 21 dope tracks deep. All in all, I'd say it was a good night.

Progress

14 comments:

  1. As far as I know it was never in stores...The copy I bought at the show is a cdr with a photocopied cover, and I think that's as official as it ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with these guys, don't forget Frank Hendler, who also has an albulm prints from the same era. frank works with david byrne now. His beats on this albulm are sick, glad that you posted this, haven't listened to it in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to bug you, but is there any way you could re-upload this or send it to me? I've been looking for it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I can't believe I've never heard of this group/album. I know of all the members but not collectively. Any chance for another re-up? Thanks in advance! PS. I've been looking everywhere for the Macklemore "Open your eyes" album if anyone has a copy of that, physical or digital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i second the request for "open your eyes". anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you have a track list? and thanks for putting up open your eyes ive been looking for that forever

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an original copy of Macklemore's Open Your Eyes on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macklemore-Open-Your-Eyes-SUPER-RARE-Debut-Album-2000-/260986018329

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie McKee features on Moonlight!

    ReplyDelete